February 25, 2017: My Sticky Shelf
I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get a tattoo of words, because I love them too much. I get too attached too easily to short phrases, quotes, or Bible verses. I’ll find a new favorite and instantly start thinking of how it would look permanently inked onto my skin in my sister’s handwriting, but then the next week I find another sentence that rocks me even harder. So, instead of covering my back in tattoos of cliches and Bible verses, I write them on sticky notes and place them on my shelf above my desk. I line them up – pink, yellow, orange, blue – one after the other, and then when I’m to the end of the shelf, I start over with new notes on top of the old ones. Today, I wanted to share some of my latest inspiration and encouragement with y’all. Here are some of the current notes from my sticky shelf!
- Trade in the glamorous for the glorious. Believe the beauty in the blindfold. | If we’re being honest with ourselves, following Jesus is not as trendy or easy as it can look from Instagram. For me right now, it feels like I have a blindfold on, and I’m walking step by step, hand in hand with Jesus, with absolutely no idea what the future holds. This sticky encourages me to find beauty in that blindfold and reminds me that life with Jesus isn’t always glamorous, but it’s always glorious.
- “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” -Romans 8:18 | While I have this figurative blindfold on, Paul reminds me that glory is coming.
- “Forth, and fear no darkness!” -Theoden | I have to have a nerdy quote on the shelf, and this one makes me feel just so stoked to charge into a Monday morning French class.
- Thankful over critical | This sticky reminds me to always be positive when I’m looking at situations or relationships. Though I do think there’s appropriate times and places to offer constructive criticism, I always want to be grateful for the good things first.
- “Stay in your lane. Comparison kills creativity and joy.” -Brene Brown | College has taught me a lot about comparison, mainly that it sucks. I have to continually remind myself to stay in my lane, because it’s my lane for a reason.
- “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” -Hebrews 13:8 | At the church I go to in Auburn, we recently did a series centered around this verse. Our identity as sons and daughters of God means that we’re united with Christ, so the pastor translated this verse to say “the way God sees you is the same yesterday and today and forever.” Obviously, it hit me so hard that I cried.
And that’s the latest from my sticky shelf! If you enjoyed this, let me know, because I’m thinking of making the sticky shelf a regular thing on my blog. Thanks so much for reading, blah blah blah, check back again in fifteen days!
(“The Freshman Fifteen” is a year-long blogging project posting every fifteen days of my freshman year of college. Follow along for life updates, deep thoughts, and everything in between.)